Skip to main content

October 22nd - Interesting Performance

The Stage as we were leaving

Master Tang.

Plans with Master Tang never go according to plan.

That is apart of the adventure I suppose.

Tuesday while eating dinner, Master Tang invited me to this performance. He had me wear my monk clothes and even prepare for some questions that the host of the performance would ask me. So, I took my spear form and shortened it down to a "theatrical" version which has all the cool moves and nothing else. I prepared my responses to the questions and even memorized a little introduction of myself so I would be ready.

Arriving at the Stage, 5:00 pm

Master Tang, Coach Qi, another Coach and I all left the school at 4:00 pm to go to the village where we were performing. The Coaches and I were allowed to practice on the stage a bit and Master Tang told me to change some moves a little bit. Then, we went to a Kung Fu School and relaxed for a bit.

As we were relaxing, Master Tang brought in some random guy who wanted to learn how to do a hand stand and had the coaches teach him. Try to teach him. After waiting around a bit and trying to teach this guy we left to eat some dumplings then the Coaches and I started walking around the village. (After getting milk tea, of course) It was getting dark, my stomach was really full and I was wondering if the performance was ever going to happen.

Finally, we walked back to the staging area and met back up with Master Tang. It would be a whole other hour of different people performing before we would get our 30 seconds on stage. Dancing, singing, a comedy act, and more were all performed before us. When it was time for us to go up, my nervousness, full stomach, and all other jitters were gone. I got up, performed well and then waited for the host to call me back up.

By the end of the day, I felt just like this cat.

Going back up on stage was something I didn't want to do. I was told it would be short but it wasn't. The questions she asked me were completely different and she asked me to perform again... the second time I messed up. Luckily, when that was over we all grabbed our things and left as more performances went on behind us.

The evening was spent eating hotpot and talking. More so me listening while getting handed a lot of food as the Coaches and Master Tang drank. I was just happy to get back to the school and finally sleep.

It was a full day of training and performing.

I'm just glad its over.

Side Note: Today's meditation was very relaxing.


Popular posts from this blog

February 28th - My Fourth Week in a Kung Fu School

A Tired Me eating my Friday Chocolate Drinking Hot (Powdered) Milk Afternoon Thoughts Man, Fridays are always a great way to wind down as it is just the perfect ending to a hard week's training. We have the Morning Tai Chi class (that I don't go to), breakfast, power stretching and then forms. After a usually delicious lunch we move on to cleaning the whole school making it, and ourselves, ready for a new week. But before I get to today, let me talk about yesterday. Thursday was interesting as I realized my knee was getting better but I wasn't pushing it too hard. I wanted it to heal fully. I could jog for a little bit but I just walked the morning 2km. Then came Qi Gong (气功) class taught by Master Yan. We learned/reviewed Yi Jin Jing (易筋经) which I realized I had forgotten almost everything but luckily "The Ten Tiger" Shilat and Master Yan were willing to explain some of the moves to me. So thanks! We helped build 3 out of the 4 stone tables there

January 22nd - Travelling in Shanghai

My Thoughts 🤔 我的想法 I've finally arrived in Shanghai. After a long journey from Minnesota to Dallas and finally to Shanghai, I made it. No flight delays, no bad weather, just a simple day of flying. The hotel that I stayed at was pretty good. I tested my Chinese by trying to check-in and out using only Chinese with a little success but I didn't do that well. I did test myself one other time and that was to order breakfast today! This I did really well and I even understood the hotel staff on the phone, which was surprising. I have felt weird coming back to China. A few things happened that made me think, "Yup, I'm really back in China". People staring at me, check! The crowded metro stations and sidewalks, check! People talking about me in Chinese because they think I don't understand, check! People arguing on the metro over dumb things, check! Just so many things that make me realize, no, re-realize how different life is here and in America. I'

May 19th - News

Me, Flying Lots of News Quite a lot is changing at Maling Kung Fu School in the next few weeks. Master Ning, our Tai Chi/Baji Quan teacher, is leaving the school to go home and "study more" but, from his own mouth, he said there isn't enough students at the school and he doesn't know if he'll come back. Then, next week Master Yan is going to be helping the kid summer school owned by headmaster Bao. He said once the classes start up he will be gone for 2-3 months. This means we lose a valuable Sanda coach and Xing Yi Quan master... which leaves us with Master Peng and Headmaster Bao. That's not all! Next week will be the last week for two classmates, Shilat and Terina, so our number is shrinking to seven students in total. From what I've heard, Master Bao will be taking over Sanda and Tai Chi classes while Master Peng will teach us Basics and Forms. Power Stretching and Power Tr